Follow me on Twitter: @JohnHQuigley

Friday, May 30, 2014

In the news

I've been in the PA news a lot the last couple of days. (And today.  If you don't believe me, just google news with "John Quigley Corbett leasing" for a sampling and even some video.)

It's not pleasant to have to go to court under any circumstances. And particularly so when you find yourself opposite an esteemed former colleague and an agency that you hold in the highest regard. But they have new bosses.  Time marches on. And Monday's cross-examination awaits.

It's also not pleasant to criticize the actions  of (among others) my own former boss. He dealt with a state budget collapse in the midst of the worst recession since the Great Depression, and a General Assembly that was hostile to him (to put it mildly). He made some choices - along with the General Assembly - that I strongly disagreed with in leasing state forest land for gas drilling to balance the state budget. I tried to ameliorate the results of those choices after I couldn't head them off. But ultimately, Governor Rendell did the right thing in halting further state forest leasing, and I continue to admire him for that - and a lot more.

I learned a long time ago that politics and governing are messy endeavors, and not for the faint of heart. I still have the scars to prove it (to say nothing of the toll that it inevitably takes on loved ones).  I added a few more in state service. Perhaps I'll add a few more now, too, as a (not so) private citizen, on the penumbra of politics. 


No comments:

Post a Comment