Follow me on Twitter: @JohnHQuigley

Thursday, May 15, 2014

A footnote in an important story (personal)

Yesterday, I had the privilege of recording an audio interview for the Pennsylvania Conservation Heritage Project.

During the interview - conducted by a professional historian - I talked about my background, how I came to work at DCNR, the work that I led or contributed to, and the challenges that I faced in leading an agency that is the chief steward of Pennsylvania's natural resources.  

I told a few stories that will grow safer - for me, anyway - with the passage of time. 

The conversation brought back to me the golden interval when I was privileged to work on behalf of a noble mission and with the finest public servants - and some of the best people - I've ever encountered. 

The interview will be transcribed and preserved in the collections of the Pennsylvania State Archives, and some of the contents could find its way into a future book on the history of conservation in Pennsylvania.

It’s an honor to be even a footnote in the story of the visionary leaders who gave birth to and led the conservation movement in the state where that movement began. 

The thoughtful people behind both this project and the Goddard Legacy Project are doing incredibly important work to preserve our state’s conservation heritage – and to inspire future generations in the foresighted utilization, preservation and/or renewal of forest, waters, lands and minerals, for the greatest good of the greatest number for the longest time.”

No comments:

Post a Comment