President Obama, in my view, has been a champion of clean energy and combating global climate disruption, despite five years of intense, destructive opposition to not only his policies but the actual functioning of our government. The Center for the New Energy Economy (CNEE) at Colorado State University has prepared a new report on additional actions that the President and his executive agencies can take to address climate disruption and the nation’s clean energy goals that do not require the assent of a barely-functioning Congress.
Powering Forward: Presidential and Executive Agency Actions to Drive Clean Energy in America offers specific recommendations in each of five areas:
- Doubling energy productivity
- Financing renewable energy
- Producing natural gas responsibly
- Developing alternative fuels and vehicles, and
- Enabling electric & gas utilities adapt to the new realities of the 21st century.
It’s essential reading, and I hope, will be the subject of more deep Presidential thinking and more strong Presidential action.